WARNING: Extremely long post with a lot of details that could be TMI with lots of pictures!
July 28th 2014
I woke up that morning feeling excited and somewhat nervous since I had never been induced before. I didn’t really sleep much the night before – partly because I was terribly uncomfortable, partly because I could in no way breathe like a normal human being, and partly because I was so excited to meet my baby girls.
We arrived at the hospital at 6am for our scheduled induction. They didn’t have any rooms available so we were sent to the waiting room. After waiting for 20 minutes they finally had a room available. We were sent to Delivery Room 5 where we would be until it was time to start pushing. Once in the room I was given some paperwork to sign in case we had to do an emergency C-section. Alex and Maria (mother-in-law) had to sign some paperwork also since we were delivering in the OR. (*We asked Maria to be with us for this delivery because she is an OB nurse and has helped deliver twins many times. She would also be able to tell us what is going on or give us some advice if we were being asked to do something we were unsure of like a C-section.) I was told to change and get into the bed to get the induction started. I was then hooked up to the monitors to watch the babies’ heartbeats and my contractions. This was not an easy task! The nurse tried finding the babies but couldn’t seem to get both babies, so she had to get an ultrasound machine. During the ultrasound we found out that baby A was head down but posterior and baby B was breech. Even with the ultrasound the nurse had trouble keeping the babies on the monitor. At 7:11am the nurse checked me and I was dilated to 4cm and 50% effaced. With any slight movement from me the monitors would lose a reading on one of the babies, so the nurse had to find Skylee’s heart rate and was having a lot of trouble keeping a reading on her. These girls just wouldn’t hold still! At 7:37am Maria arrived and immediately went into nurse mode! At 7:45am the nurse was ready to put in my IV, and in the process blew out two of my veins in my right arm and a more experienced nurse finally got one in on my left arm. I was then started on Pitocin at a gradual increase every 20 minutes. When we had the girl’s heart rates on the monitor baby A was 140 and baby B was 130 but we continued to have trouble keeping the monitors on them. Maria at one point had to hold the monitor in place to keep a reading on Rylee!
At 8:48am Doctor Duff came in to check me and go over the process for delivering twins. She explained that since Skylee was head down we would do a vaginal delivery as planned, and once Skylee was out she would reach up and turn Rylee to either pull her out by her feet or deliver normally if she turned head down. Dr. Duff recommended getting the epidural since she would be reaching up to get baby B out! The Doctor then checked me and I was at 5-6cm and 80% effaced. She then asked if I wanted to go ahead and get my water broke or wait until after I got the epidural. Since I have always had the epidural first I decided to wait. So Dr. Duff said she would be back later. At 9:35am the anesthesiologist came in to do the epidural. I wasn’t feeling my contractions at this time so this was the worst epidural I have ever had, not having the pain from a contraction to focus on means all I could focus on was the needle going into my back! I had Alex standing in front of me to hold onto and lean on. The anesthesiologist had to poke me three times to get the epidural in (not a good day to be poking me with needles!), and poor Alex was squeezed so hard each time that he said he felt like I was going to rip his sides off! We continued to have trouble monitoring the babies and at one point their heartbeats were in sync so the nurses couldn’t tell them apart. My cousin Jennifer arrived at 10:30am and was not leaving until these babies arrived! Shortly after Bro. Lee and Miss Deb stopped by to see how things were going and said they would be back later when babies arrived. We continued to wait for the Doctor to come back in to break my water. The nurses were told she got busy at her clinic with other patients. At 12:10pm the nurse decided to check me since we still hadn’t seen the doctor, and I was still 4cm and 70% effaced. Maria just kept saying we needed to get my water broken if we were going to get anywhere! At 12:50pm the Doctor finally made it back and was ready to break baby A’s water. When she broke the water a ton of fluid came out and even got on the Doctor, she commented that she wasn’t expecting that much to come out! Dr. Duff checked me and I was now at 8cm and 80% effaced. Since we were having so much trouble keeping the babies heart rates the Doctor also put a probe on Skylee’s head to monitor her. The doctor then quickly did another ultrasound to see the location of babies and get baby B’s heart monitor repositioned. Since Rylee was now lying sideways the Doctor said there shouldn’t be any problem getting her to turn and having both babies vaginally. The doctor left saying it shouldn’t be much longer and the nurse was saying she hoped I had them before 3pm when she would be getting off work. So we were now playing the waiting game again but at least this time I was noticing my contractions more, even with the epidural. At 2:30pm I was starting to feel some pressure and more intense contractions so I let the nurse know. The nurse then decided to check me and said I was still at 8cm maybe (the nurse was new only 5 months on the job). Alex, Jennifer, and Maria were then taking bets on when the babies would come. It was then 3pm and shift change so we were introduced to our new nurse and the first nurse was sad that she didn’t get to be with us for the delivery. Within minutes I started noticing even more pressure and told the nurse who immediately checked me and said “Yep, its time!” and then started letting everyone know and getting the doctor called. The nurse then brought in scrubs for Alex and Maria to put on and then we were headed to the OR at 3:15pm.
Once we were in the OR I had to move from the hospital bed to the operating table (which is tiny!) with a huge belly and an epidural causing me to feel very little from waste down. That was not easy and I’m sure entertaining to watch! The doctor came in along with a consulting OB and many nurses and it was time to get started.
When the doctor was ready she told me to start pushing with my next contraction. After one good push Skylee came out at 3:24pm and was immediately handed to a nurse to get cleaned up.
I then went from being in a propped up position while on the table to the nurse lowering the table so much that I felt like I was almost upside down. The doctor then quickly reached up to see which way Rylee was headed and asked the nurse to get the ultrasound machine so they could see what she was doing. After a few minutes the doctor said she was in the breech position but was hopeful in being able to pull her out by her feet. Rylee was very wiggly and the doctor had trouble grabbing both feet but eventually had a hold of both feet. With the next contraction she tugged on her and said she wasn’t moving down. So with the next contraction she asked me to push and she would pull her down, but I couldn’t really feel my contractions any more so I wasn’t sure when to even push, one of the nurses was watching the monitor and said I was having a contraction so the doctor told me to push while she pulled on Rylee and still Rylee didn’t come down. They continued monitoring Rylee’s heart rate which stayed at a good rate and the doctor then started talking with the consulting OB trying to decide what she should do, and this whole time she was still holding Rylee’s feet (she didn’t want to let go worried that she would move sideways). I tried to stay calm myself while I listened but also began praying and praying hard that everything would work out according to God’s will. The doctor was saying when I would push it would pull Rylee back up and that my contractions were working against me not with me! I really didn’t want to have a C-section and this doctor was so patient and was really trying to stay away from having to do a C-section. The doctor had me try pushing one more time while she pulled on Rylee’s feet and still nothing. So she then said to the other nurses to start prepping for C-section. Praying really hard now and Maria and Alex also started praying. The consulting OB then came over to explain to me that baby B just wasn’t coming down and that we might have to do a C-section for the safety of the baby and me. As much as I didn’t want this I trusted the doctors and knew this was all in God’s hands. Doctor Duff then decided to let go of Rylee and pulled her hand out for a matter of seconds and when she put her hand back in she immediately said “That’s a head, I feel a head”. The doctor looked at the consulting OB and said I have never had a baby turn so quickly like that. The nurse with ultrasound machine quickly started searching and sure enough Rylee was head down. I was thanking God but still praying that she came out and everything continued to go according to plan. The doctor then told me to push with the next contraction and after three pushes Rylee finally came out at 3:56pm and was given to me right away.
We were blessed with two healthy baby girls. Skylee weighed 6lbs 6oz and was 19” and Rylee weighed 6lbs 15oz and was 20”.
What an amazing experience! It’s amazing what God can do when you trust in Him.